Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Text Analysis


Author’s note: I was trying to complete my goal to analysis the book Safe Haven to say what the authors point of the story was.

Seeing the sight of his old ripped baseball cap made my heart race. That can’t be him I thought to myself, why would he come all the way to the small town of Southport. Although that is for sure his hat, I remember Kevin standing out on the porch grilling chicken; seems like it was just yesterday. Even though  I haven’t seen Kevin for months. Slowly the man started to turn in my direction, now my heart was beating so fast I felt like it was going to fall out of my chest. Finally able to see the man in the old red baseball cap, I figure out it wasn’t Kevin. Feels like the weights fell off my shoulders. In the book Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks Katie worried and feared seeing her abusive husband, the one she escaped from. By escaping it didn't help the problem it just made her take a vacation from it. In this book I think that the authors message was you can’t just run away from your problems, you have to face them sometime.

Clearly Katie couldn’t put up with her husband anymore and running away was her only option but she never thought about what happened if Kevin were to come for her. As Katie was settling in this small town she meet new people along the way, which she started to care for a lot. Therefore when she started to get closer to a man that she meet at the store Alex and his children she never would intend for them to get hurt. Attempting to keep her distance and her past a secret it didn’t work because later in the book Kevin comes for her.

While she was trying to protect her relationship with Alex, she was still trying to figure out how to end it with Kevin. Eventually Katie and Kevin see each one more night this time while Katie was babysitting Alex’s children. This eventful night finally made Katie face up to Kevin and end things; maybe not the way she thought it would end.  By finishing things off she was now able to continue her life down a new path with Alex.

Many people now in days try to avoid their problems and they try to push it away but it comes right back to them, just like this story. Sometimes running away from problems makes it worse, and you may dig yourself in a deeper hole then you started. This reminds me of many people in society. For an example, many people get bills in the mail but they decide they don’t want to pay it right away and they push it off. Eventually the bill will come back and there will be an overdue fee with it so it will cost more than the original price.

This happens to a lot of people with paying bill but even in other situations too. The only solution is to try to help the problem right away, instead of hiding from it. At least Katie finally ended the abusive relationship that she was in. The best was she was able to move on and start her new love life with Alex. 

No comments:

Post a Comment