Friday, April 12, 2013

Child Labor


Dear Lilly,

Most of the time I feel drained, depressed, and ill. Ever since I left you and our parents my life has been nothing but pure torture. Starring out the window thinking back to the old cheerful memories I had with you is the only sort of happiness I have. I can’t get over how ridiculous it is to have a kid at my age working as long as I do, but I know that our family could use the money. Although for the pain I am put through, I desire a lot more money. It just isn’t fair.

Through all the hard, dangerous work we do we still only get paid one dollar a week. Clearly the money is low to the amount of hours I work. Each day I work for about 16 hours, with machines that adults should be handling. Many kids have pulled the wrong handle, and severely hurt themselves.  Although the boss really doesn’t care.  

Even though they may never pay me as much as I need, they could at least treat us kids better. Scars and bruises are all over my ghostly pale skin. I’ve learned to arrive to work promptly otherwise my injuries would get worse. Almost every day a kid arrives a little late or takes too long of a break, and then the factory is echoing with a loud voice, painful screams, and constant slams. Suddenly my head would start throbbing from the fear I felt when my head was just about to get smashed against the ground.  

Not only did I feel pain from the abuse but I got soar from spinning the cotton. Most the time my work is spinning the cotton gin and it takes up most of my energy. If I am not spinning it fast enough I may get hit. Which makes me more weak, especially since we don’t even get enough food to replenish our bodies. It’s starting to make me really sick, and weary.  Although when I think of coming back home to the family, I start to feel a little liveliness.  

Despite all the stress I got through, I really just can’t wait to get home. I miss all of you guys. Once we are stable with money I will come back. Maybe I will even go to school to advance my skills at reading, writing and math.  Hope to see you before I turn 9 so we can celebrate. I will talk to you soon.

Love always,
Lucy 

No comments:

Post a Comment